Kampong Thom
Kampong Thom - Day Four
Between Kompang Cham and Siem Reap we visited Phonom Suntok, there were a lot of steps to climb but a great view from the top and a really interesting place to wander around.
"Phnom Suntok Phnom Suntok is the most important holy mountain in Cambodia's northwest and the hillside is venerated with images of Buddha and a series of pagodas. It's set high above the surrounding countryside, meaning there are a lot of stairs to climb – 980 in fact. They wind their way up through a forest and emerge at a colourful pagoda with many small shrines"
I was followed by a young boy all the way up the steps, he fanned me all the way! I gave him a small tip once we got to the top but I would much rather he hadn't fanned me the whole way. I guess it was pretty comical though. We were told beforehand that it would probably happen and not to give them too much money otherwise they won't go to school if they earn so much money pestering exhausted tourists as they plod up the hill. On the way down I was followed by a group of three children, but they weren't after anything and just enjoyed the shelter under my brolly from the sun - they were a lot of fun.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home