Monday, September 18, 2006

So I said I'd never be a waitress again ...and other stuff

Friday and Saturday were spent doing the usual; sitting outside in town drinking coffee with various different people and went to the cinema on Friday (weird not paying 2000 yen). All very relaxing but that all changed on Saturday night…

I said I wouldn’t ever waitress again (although admittedly I have said that plenty of times in the past and still always end up doing it) and then what do I end up doing on Saturday night - running around the restaurant. Yes, my part time job from when I was at SCHOOL! They were short staffed and I desperately need some cash so I couldn’t say no.

I actually enjoyed it - I probably had to use my head more than I did the whole time I was in Japan! I’d forgotten how physically hard work it is though running up and down the stairs with arms full of food.

I found it an interesting cultural experience actually. At the start when it was quiet I loved standing back and watching everyone in the restaurant. It’s amazing the different types of people that come in and you know exactly what type of person they are from the food they order.

After a while it was frantic though, there were hundreds of bookings and people were queuing out the door onto the street. I spent a lot of time trying to avoid the deathly stares you receive from customers when they’ve been waiting, oh about an hour for their food ;)

For most people who work there, they obviously care a lot and it’s incredibly stressful for them- but I was just helping out at the end of the day so didn’t really care. Table 6 will get their Pollo Valdestana and Pizza Napoli eventually! Staring at me is not going to get their food there any faster, what do they want me to do? Magic the food onto their table - I’m not the chef! There's nothing I could do so I chose just not to care! I worked hard but I didn't stress about things beyond my control! Everyone kept asking ‘have you been knocking back the wine behind here? You’re in a very good mood’ - obviously I hadn’t been I was just of the opinion that in a few hours it will be over, everyone will have eaten, everyone will be happy and I’ll be out with my friends.

I went to meet everyone afterwards - I literally skipped to the bar! I was so hyper after work being so hectic and so pleased to be going out with my friends. We had a fantastic night! Perhaps you appreciate nights out more when you’ve been hard at work before hand?!

Last night we went into town for our friend’s birthday. There was this amazing bbq with mussels, salmon and prawns. Had such a lovely evening talking with so many different people.

One of the main reasons I love Carlisle - people who you haven’t really spoken to for five years, don’t care that you’ve been away or where you’ve been which admittedly can be upsetting but the main thing is they just totally welcome you back like you’ve never been away. People who you’ve never spoken to before, but you probably generally know who each other are, talk to you like you’ve always been friends - you’re totally welcomed back because the only prerequisite is that you live in Carlisle at the moment and I guess it helps if you've lived here in the past too.

Tom and me went for our last lunch in town before he goes back to uni (went to this really cool bar and the food was amazing), we were sat having coffee watching everyone go by, Tom commented ‘There’s no where quite like Carlisle. Everyone’s so lovely but oh - so hard, everyone is though aren’t they?’ I’d just been laughing about it the day before with my Mum at the supermarket, the conversation we overheard between the shop assistant and this customer, all I’ll say - comedy you couldn’t write!!

Vinny’s off to the 'pool tomorrow! Mum, Dad and me have just been a total ‘shan’ and presented him with a good luck card whilst singing Beatles’ tunes at the top of our voices - I’ve told him that he’ll never meet as fun and crazy people as us at uni ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home