The Dentist
Yesterday I went to the dentist. This is worth posting about because I haven't been to the dentist for a LONG time, an embarrassingly
long time.
This could be attributed to two different factors:-
1. Wearing a brace (actually a 'retainer' - we Brits generally say 'brace' for both train-tracks and retainers) for 4 years which meant monthly visits to the dentist AND it made no difference - as soon as I stopped wearing it my teeth just went back to the way they were. It's obviously just the way they want to be. I have to accept I'm always going have the gap imbetween my two front teeth along with a nice set of fangs.
2. I once missed an appointment and then was too scared to go back and so never did and then the longer I left it the worse it became.
I'm honestly appalled at the mistreatment and neglect of my own poor teeth!
I have nightmares about my teeth all the time, I heard that this is quite common but I'm sure I have them more than most people. These dreams plague my sleep. My teeth fall out. They rot. They're knocked out etc etc.
Needless to say I was terrified of returning to the dentists. I'm so scared the dentist will tell me all my teeth are rotting and about to fall out.
But to be honest the thing I'm most worried about is them judging me ... "Oh look at these teeth, she eats far too many sweets and drinks way too much coke. Tut tut. And how long has it been? Hm..."
I was sat in the waiting room with everyone staring to me and for once I'm sure it wasn't just because I'm a gaijin and more to do with the fact I had my head in my hands and was almost hyperventilating.
I'm so pleased I plucked up the courage to go though and despite my fears I only have to have a couple of fillings and some cleaning done, which means I have to go back next week but that's OK because it was just going that first time that I was so scared of.
On the subject of teeth; I only found out since coming to Japan that British people have a reputation of having really terrible teeth. Since I was informed about this fact, I've told several people at home and none of us had ever heard about it before. I wonder how many more things we're infamous for without us even knowing it...?
long time.This could be attributed to two different factors:-
1. Wearing a brace (actually a 'retainer' - we Brits generally say 'brace' for both train-tracks and retainers) for 4 years which meant monthly visits to the dentist AND it made no difference - as soon as I stopped wearing it my teeth just went back to the way they were. It's obviously just the way they want to be. I have to accept I'm always going have the gap imbetween my two front teeth along with a nice set of fangs.
2. I once missed an appointment and then was too scared to go back and so never did and then the longer I left it the worse it became.
I'm honestly appalled at the mistreatment and neglect of my own poor teeth!
I have nightmares about my teeth all the time, I heard that this is quite common but I'm sure I have them more than most people. These dreams plague my sleep. My teeth fall out. They rot. They're knocked out etc etc.
Needless to say I was terrified of returning to the dentists. I'm so scared the dentist will tell me all my teeth are rotting and about to fall out.
But to be honest the thing I'm most worried about is them judging me ... "Oh look at these teeth, she eats far too many sweets and drinks way too much coke. Tut tut. And how long has it been? Hm..."
I was sat in the waiting room with everyone staring to me and for once I'm sure it wasn't just because I'm a gaijin and more to do with the fact I had my head in my hands and was almost hyperventilating.
I'm so pleased I plucked up the courage to go though and despite my fears I only have to have a couple of fillings and some cleaning done, which means I have to go back next week but that's OK because it was just going that first time that I was so scared of.
On the subject of teeth; I only found out since coming to Japan that British people have a reputation of having really terrible teeth. Since I was informed about this fact, I've told several people at home and none of us had ever heard about it before. I wonder how many more things we're infamous for without us even knowing it...?

2 Comments:
1. Having terrible teeth.
2. Never bathing.
3. Having the worst cuisine on the planet.
Having said that, none of the British people I know really match this description - but I thought I should answer your question :) Sam
Yay! A comment - you've made my day!
Never bathing?! really?!
And we've made up for having the worst cuisine on the planet by doing everyone elses damn well ;)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home