Tanoshikatta desu
Doesn't Japanese look funny in romaji?!!
I just thought I'd post to say "I JUST HAD A GREAT LESSON!!!! " This is of note because;
1) I hardly ever seem to teach -
2) when I do - I don't think I'd describe the lessons as great.
It was my first lesson with ni-nensei, so I taught them all last year when they were in ichi-nensei. They're my buds, my pals, they're great. Especially because (I think) in this class they've actually chosen to take my lessons. How nice is that?! (although maybe they're bullied into doing it or there just isn't room in the class that's on at the same time - I'll try not to think about those possibilities).
I can plan any kind of lesson I like with ni-nensei, so we started off doing the game where I pronounce words with similar sounds to them e.g. road/load, right/light, cash/catch etc and they have to follow a map/tree whatever you want to call it. Everyone ALT knows it. I've never done it before, I should have done. It's really funny, we couldn't stop laughing. The second time around they have to watch my mouth rather than just listening. This is scary. 40 faces staring intently at me, can't say that's ever happened in class before! A note for next time - I'll definitely make sure I'm wearing make up!
Then I showed them pics from Cambodia on the TV set, I talked through them with as simple English as I could and the teacher only had to explain a couple of points in Japanese as they seemed to be understanding most of it. I guess it was pretty simple - this is a Cambodian house - I ate a spider - Here is Angkor Wat - This is the Mekong river etc.
Usually I'd get them to try and ask some questions in English but we didn't really have time so I said it was OK for them to ask in Japanese. I replied in English but the most astounding thing is that I understood every single one of their questions! After having it reitterated to me on several occasions recently that my nihon-go is so crap, I felt a great sense of achievement, even if the questions only were - was the spider delicious? - how long did you go for? - how long did it take to get there? - what type of food do they have in Cambodia? etc
Honestly, that class was the best fun I've had in ages ... thank you 2AB!
I just thought I'd post to say "I JUST HAD A GREAT LESSON!!!! " This is of note because;
1) I hardly ever seem to teach -
2) when I do - I don't think I'd describe the lessons as great.
It was my first lesson with ni-nensei, so I taught them all last year when they were in ichi-nensei. They're my buds, my pals, they're great. Especially because (I think) in this class they've actually chosen to take my lessons. How nice is that?! (although maybe they're bullied into doing it or there just isn't room in the class that's on at the same time - I'll try not to think about those possibilities).
I can plan any kind of lesson I like with ni-nensei, so we started off doing the game where I pronounce words with similar sounds to them e.g. road/load, right/light, cash/catch etc and they have to follow a map/tree whatever you want to call it. Everyone ALT knows it. I've never done it before, I should have done. It's really funny, we couldn't stop laughing. The second time around they have to watch my mouth rather than just listening. This is scary. 40 faces staring intently at me, can't say that's ever happened in class before! A note for next time - I'll definitely make sure I'm wearing make up!
Then I showed them pics from Cambodia on the TV set, I talked through them with as simple English as I could and the teacher only had to explain a couple of points in Japanese as they seemed to be understanding most of it. I guess it was pretty simple - this is a Cambodian house - I ate a spider - Here is Angkor Wat - This is the Mekong river etc.
Usually I'd get them to try and ask some questions in English but we didn't really have time so I said it was OK for them to ask in Japanese. I replied in English but the most astounding thing is that I understood every single one of their questions! After having it reitterated to me on several occasions recently that my nihon-go is so crap, I felt a great sense of achievement, even if the questions only were - was the spider delicious? - how long did you go for? - how long did it take to get there? - what type of food do they have in Cambodia? etc
Honestly, that class was the best fun I've had in ages ... thank you 2AB!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home