Strange Times
So here I am a year on from leaving old Mie-ken. Seems like a lifetime ago. I know I lived in Japan but it feels like it happened to someone else, it’s probably taken quite a considerable amount of time to fit back in and in some ways this year has been as equally challenging, all be it in a different way, to a year in Japan.
The summer holidays are upon us now, so that’s it, my job has finished, mixed feelings about that too. It’s certainly been the most challenging thing I’ve ever done, but I’ve survived and enjoyed it too. Living in a small city I almost still have the celebrity status you ‘enjoy’ in a small Japanese town, any trip into town I can hear ‘Alright Miss Vincent’ or ‘Vinny’ (past trying to explain to them that it’s inappropriate to call your teacher Vinny) coming from every direction.
I’m off to Edinburgh for my hols next week so am really looking forward to that and then it’s my friend’s daughter’s christening and believe it or not but I’m going to be the god-mother. Then I only have a week before I leave Carlisle –for good?!
Further mixed feelings... I love living in Carlisle and I think at some point I definitely want to return and I’ve been so lucky that I’ve had such an amazing, close group of friends even after returning from Japan and I realise that’s never going to be the same again. BUT I need to leave Carlisle, it’s impossible to meet new people, everyone knows what you’re doing, everyone knows each other, you see the same people ALL the time. All of this doesn’t do anything to curb my dramatic tendencies!! I’ve had a lot of fun, more than I could possibly explain, but feeling recently like I really need to grow up especially when I see some of my other friends and the points they are at in their lives. Whereas I’m at home nursing a broken wrist after falling on the dance floor last week and seem to constantly be in trouble with various different people!!
Definitely time to leave but wondering what the next chapter will be like and feeling really nervous about moving away, living with strangers, meeting people, going somewhere where I don’t know a single individual. It’s daunting but I just have to remind myself I moved to Japan when I was a 21 years old with much less confidence than I have now.
“sure it’ll be grand…”


The summer holidays are upon us now, so that’s it, my job has finished, mixed feelings about that too. It’s certainly been the most challenging thing I’ve ever done, but I’ve survived and enjoyed it too. Living in a small city I almost still have the celebrity status you ‘enjoy’ in a small Japanese town, any trip into town I can hear ‘Alright Miss Vincent’ or ‘Vinny’ (past trying to explain to them that it’s inappropriate to call your teacher Vinny) coming from every direction.
I’m off to Edinburgh for my hols next week so am really looking forward to that and then it’s my friend’s daughter’s christening and believe it or not but I’m going to be the god-mother. Then I only have a week before I leave Carlisle –for good?!
Further mixed feelings... I love living in Carlisle and I think at some point I definitely want to return and I’ve been so lucky that I’ve had such an amazing, close group of friends even after returning from Japan and I realise that’s never going to be the same again. BUT I need to leave Carlisle, it’s impossible to meet new people, everyone knows what you’re doing, everyone knows each other, you see the same people ALL the time. All of this doesn’t do anything to curb my dramatic tendencies!! I’ve had a lot of fun, more than I could possibly explain, but feeling recently like I really need to grow up especially when I see some of my other friends and the points they are at in their lives. Whereas I’m at home nursing a broken wrist after falling on the dance floor last week and seem to constantly be in trouble with various different people!!
Definitely time to leave but wondering what the next chapter will be like and feeling really nervous about moving away, living with strangers, meeting people, going somewhere where I don’t know a single individual. It’s daunting but I just have to remind myself I moved to Japan when I was a 21 years old with much less confidence than I have now.
“sure it’ll be grand…”



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home