Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Great Thar Desert

It had got to the point where I'd pretty much decided I had no time to be updating my blog about India but then I changed my mind. So please bear with me I'll only be writing about one or two places each time but I'll eventually get there and finish it all - I promise.

I'll start off with the last place on our tour and then eventually it will all be order ...

We left Jaisalmer in a jeep to go off into the countryside to meet our camels. I wasn't relishing the thought of spending the afternoon on top of a camel. They come under my high risk category group. Just think; I could be thrown off, trampled on and on top of that after the previous couple of days I was terrified I was going to projectile vomit onto the camel's cute, fuzzy ears etc etc. My camel wasn't the best behaved either, I seemed to end up with some decrepit, ancient camel who couldn't take my weight and appeared to keep stumbling over itself.

Anyway I survived the ordeal and after dreading the return journey the following morning I ended up quite enjoying it, as much as I think anyone could, maybe it was just the ecstatic anticipation of finishing that was keeping me going ;)

Enough about camels, we arrived at the sand dunes and our camp for the night. We ate, we drank, we sang. OK we didn't actually sing BUT we did read our romantic/porn stories (it had been decided earlier on the trip that we would all write our own romantic novels and that they would be finished by the time we went on our camel trek) around the campfire with the camel men as our perhaps unwelcome audience.

The stars came out which was spectacular and for a while I really thought it was truly an amazing experience, that was until the middle of the night arrived. In the desert at night with nothing more than a blanket for cover it is cold and not just a bit nippy - I'm talking absolutely baltic. Milena, Lolly and me didn't fall back asleep we fell unconscious from the cold after discussing what we would prefer to get us - vultures or dogs? In the end however we evidently lived to tell the tale and in the morning I guess I decided it was all worth it after all although I was starting to get really upset about leaving the others the following day.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home