Thursday, April 06, 2006

Bokor Hill Station

Bokor Hill Station -Day 9
I was very excited about the the trip to Bokor Hill, I thought it sounded really exciting and would be quite an adventure. (which it proved to be, hm...)

We drove up the roughest road imaginable through the tropical forest to reach the summit. We were staying in a rangers station so once were settled in and finished lunch we were ready to explore the hill. The accommodation was of course really basic but there was a new building which wasn't finished yet, Ale and me found the door to the bathroom open, so we were able to use that ;)

Bokor Hill was a resort built by the French, which included a huge hotel which was also a casino, the casino was later built away from the cliff edge as sometimes people apparently threw themselves off the cliff after a bad loss. Eek.

When we first arrived at Bokor Hill I was a little disappointed, it wasn't as impressive as I'd first imagined but walking around the hotel was really eerie and then we saw the view from the back of the hotel and I understood all the hype.
In the evening we had a lovely dinner talking around the fire and then the electicity was abruptly switched off at about 9pm. We were sleeping on bunks in dorms, which I found really funny but don't think everyone felt the same. In the morning Patrick and Ale got up to watch the sun rise so I decided to join them too. It was definitely worth it.

The group outside the hotel - Bokor Palace

The view

The sunset

The sunrise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home