What will become of Gonzo?

After I'd been in Japan for a few weeks, Martyn sent me Gonzo. He was meant to keep me company I guess. I'm not quite sure how he came about choosing Gonzo to be my new companion apart from the fact he was easy to send. When he first arrived I wasn't even sure if he was even a Sesame Street character seen as though I never watched it as a child (American pronunciation, vocabulary and misspellings abound). So as if it wasn't strange enough to send me a Sesame Street character why of all the characters did he send Gonzo? (although just writing that I think I realise why - the similarity in our huge snebs - no comment)
Gonzo didn't really do a very good job of keeping me company however and I had to find another use for him...(for some reasons that sounds really rude)
With the first class at the juku I'm always stuck for ideas as to what to do with them. It's only one class a week but it's ridiculously tough to come up with fun, genki ideas for a bunch of elementary school kids who hardly know 10 words of English between them.
I came across a game. It's simple - you play some music, the kids throw a soft toy around, when the music stops they have to answer a question. You get the idea. Therefore Gonzo was introduced to the demon kids. They love Gonzo, really, they can't get enough of him. I once forgot him and we tried throwing something else around - it just didn't work. Gonzo has been thrown around that room, more times than I care to imagine - always with much delight and enthusiasm. Once he even found himself hanging entangled in the light cord as he was thrust across the room. I guess you had to be there but it was funny.
Now all of you who know I would rather spend time in a room filled with gokiburi then young children might be surprised upon reading what a fun, genki time we have chucking Gonzo around the room but I have to inform you it is made bearable for me due to the fact Bloc Party always accompanies this game. They throw Gonzo around. I dance. Everyone's happy!
So what should I do with Gonzo? He was a gift but I really don't want to take him home. Having said that I can't just throw him in the trash (he is American after all). Perhaps I should play a game with the kids this afternoon and whoever wins gets to keep Gonzo - but I can't even imagine the havoc this would cause. Perhaps I should leave him for my successor for them to use at class or even to keep them company? Maybe there's someone else who really wants to take Gonzo off my hands and adopt him?
What should I do with Gonzo?

1 Comments:
difficult question Helen. Maybe give him as a present. It just wouldn't be the same for your successor to use him! but then again it might be a good idea!!! sorry I am absolutely no help.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home