Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I like temples again

I've been in Japan for two years. That's a lot of temples. I can't begin to imagine how many temples I've been to and that's not even including the ones in China and Cambodia as well. I really thought I was done with temples.

On Sunday morning in Kyoto I woke up ridiculously early, as per usual, I tried to persuade myself to go back to sleep but although I knew all the advantages of getting more sleep over getting up at such an early hour - I just couldn't manage it. This left me with the problem of what on earth was I going to do for the next few hours before everyone else stirred.

I decided to head out to buy some breakfast from the combini, then I decided I might as well find somewhere nice to eat my unappetising breakfast.

I ended up at a temple - I don't know which one. I don't think it was a famous, notable temple but it was a big temple none the less. There were a few people wandering around, but overall it was quiet and serene. I'd go as far as to say it was really beautiful. The temple looked so grand and the grounds were so tranquil. It was the perfect place to spend some time. As I set off to return back to the hostel the hoards of tourists were just beginning to arrive, it made me appreciate my little morning trip to the temple even more. I now have a lovely memory of this temple, which is good because presently my memory of most temples includes groups of hyperactive elementary school children, pushy old women and loud speakers.

So you see it's not always so bad to get up early :)

I didn't have my camera with me so no pictures I'm afraid but sometimes maybe that's quite a nice thing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

harmless virus to introduce a green to Hartwigs numbers. During Katrina, he consistent one. what had happened and a further day An hour later, Kennedy issued a

12:12 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home