Friday, February 17, 2006

Team Teaching, Okinawan Teachers and Palm Readings

The students are completing this activity where they have to ask each other what food they would like to order and then write down their partners response. After a while I shout over the class 'why have some people finished and others haven't written anything yet?! Come on!' Then the teacher says to me 'erm, Helen sensei, well, I told the students that sit in odd numbered seats to remain seated and the others to go around and ask them and then they'll change roles. So half of them won't have written anything yet'.

Got to love team teaching!

Sometimes I understand a little of what the teacher says to the students in Japanese but I usually just switch off - I wish they'd tell me what they've told the students, especially as I just presume they're directly translating the directions I'd given in English and am oblivious to the fact they've told the students something completely different!

In other school news, we had a special open day today where teachers from all over Japan (including Okinawa and Aomori) came to check out school and our cookery course. As part of this the students made lunch for us all for free. My school rocks.

And in my second year class we did palm readings for their last lesson (which by the way I'm totally gutted about as I'll never teach them again), according to my palm reading; I'm apparently very smart, I'm going to live a long time, I'm going to have MANY romances but at the same time I'm going to marry young!! Am destined for a life filled with extramarital affairs then oh and almost forgot - NO money as well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home