Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Home

Firstly ... I just tried to upload some photos and either my parents computer and internet are even worse than I anticipated or it's just a temporary problem and I'll be able to upload them later.

After leaving Aileen at Tsu station I cried off and on the whole way to the airport ... who am I kidding .... off and on the whole way back to Carlisle.

At the airport my suitcase was 5 kg over, I suspected it might be a couple over but didn't expect it to be too much of a problem...

The woman however said I had to pay an excess baggage charge, I tried to get out of it - I argued that my flight had cost a small fortune so couldn't she let me by with a few extra kgs plus I was leaving Japan forever etc etc

I was completely unsuccessful ... the fact I was still crying didn't even have an effect on her. All she said was 'it's the rules, we can't break the rules'

Ah ... of course ... the RULES ... how could I forget! At that point maybe all this was a good thing - I was suddenly pleased I was leaving Japan!! I know I can't be really annoyed, I was over the allowance - fair enough. But certain people who will remain nameless told me they'd been more than 20kg over between the two of them when they came to Japan and when I came back to Japan at Christmas I remember being 3kg over and nothing was said (with the same as company as Monday might I add). But it's Japan, how could I forget, you can't break the rules!

The flight was fine (although never really forgetting my now very expensive luggage stored away beneath me). It turned out I was sat next to a Swedish sailor whose friend kept coming and talking to us and buying us drinks so they were great fun to talk to and the hours passed by relatively quickly.

So then I arrive home. It's weird. I felt really bad for my parents yesterday, as they were so pleased to see me and I was just being moody and miserable.

Within 2 minutes of getting off the plane I was wondering what on earth I'd done! Two other flights arrived in at the same time as mine; whilst waiting for my (expensive) luggage I was surrounded by fat, loud, obnoxious people with bad sun burn, exposed skin and hideous clothes! Ailo you're right about everyone being FAT and that you notice more in summer, all those girls with their overhanging bellies - yuck!

Also ... it's bloody cold here!!! 13 degrees I think it was today. It's cold and wet. I don't think it's even this cool in November in Japan, presently I don't own any jackets or cardigans and I had to root out some old cardigan from the back of my wardrobe which I haven't worn for years to wear today.

So today I went into town to get my hair cut and within ten minutes of leaving the house (I always walk into town) about three people I knew passed by. I can't decide if this is a good thing or bad thing - I guess it's a good thing- typical small city life! I went to visit my friend Tom at the restaurant he works at and I instantly felt much better about everything. He's been living in France so totally understood how I was feeling but reassured me that I'd slip back into Carlisle life no problem!

After having all my hair cut off I tried to look for a dress to wear for Kate's wedding at the weekend but with little success so it's off to Newcastle tomorrow.

Shopping was interesting ... no plastic cover for my brolly, no taking my shoes off in the changing room or being passed one of those face covers. The best thing about shopping (apart from now being one of the smallest sizes again rather than the largest) was that I could use my debit card - ah the simplicity!

After my futile attempt at finding a dress I returned to Franco's to have lunch whilst Tom finished his shift; minestrone soup, garlic bread, red wine and espressos. All good :)

Although I'm feeling a little better today I think I still need to concentrate on the good things about home more, there's nothing I can do about my decision now so I might as well make the most of my time here. Inspired by Fiona's Dailies on Japan - I'm going to start Helen's Home Dailies! Everyday I'll post about something great about being at home ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home